Brig. Gen. Jeffrey L. Butler is the Commander, 162d Wing with operations at Morris Air National Guard Base, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base and Libby Army Airfield, Arizona. As commander, he is responsible for more than 1,800 members of the Air National Guard’s largest F-16 and Remote Piloted Aircraft wing. The wing maintains 72 F-16 Fighting Falcons to train U.S. and partner nation F-16 pilots and provide 24/7 immediate response operations in support of the North American Aerospace Defense Command. In addition, the wing executes remotely piloted MQ-9 Reaper missions providing Persistent Attack capabilities in support of combat operations worldwide. The 162d also provides support to the Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve Test Center missions.
General Butler received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1988. He attended undergraduate pilot training at Reese AFB, Texas followed by several operational, combat and training assignments in the F-16. He joined the Tucson ANG in 1996 where he has served in several capacities including an exchange tour with the Royal Netherlands AF. He is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flight hours. Prior to his current position, the General was the Vice Wing Commander, 162d Wing, Morris Air National Guard Base.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Squadron Officer School (SOS), Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Master of Aeronautical Science Technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
2001 Air Command and Staff College (ACSC), by correspondence
2011 Air War College (AWC), by correspondence
2014 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
2015 Accelerated Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1. August 1988 – September 1989, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. November 1989 – January 1990, Student, Lead-In Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. February 1990 – August 1990, Student, F-16 Replacement Training, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. September 1990 – August 1993, Pilot, 525th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
5. September 1993 – May 1996, Instructor Pilot, 310th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. September 1996 – May 1999, Instructor Pilot, 148th Fighter Squadron, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
7. May 1999 – November 1999, Student, Defense Language Institute, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C.
8. December 1999 – December 2001, Instructor Pilot, 313th Fighter Squadron, Twente, Netherlands
9. January 2001 – December 2005, Flight Examiner, 148th Fighter Squadron, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
10. January 2006 – June 2008, Vice Commander, Total Force Training Center, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
11. June 2008 – March 2011, Commander, Total Force Training Center, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
12. August 2009 – March 2011, Commander, Headquarters, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
13. March 2011 – November 2012, Commander, 148th Fighter Squadron, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
14. November 2012 – February 2013, Commander, 162d Operations Support Squadron, 162d Fighter Wing, Ariz.
15. February 2013 – April 2015, Commander, 162d Operations Group, 162d Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
16. April 2015 – September 2017, Commander, 162d Maintenance Group, 162d Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
17. September 2017 – April 2020, Vice Commander, 162d Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
18. April 2020 – Present, Commander, 162d Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,000 including more than 200 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 8, 1988
First Lieutenant Jan. 8, 1990
Captain July 1, 1992
Major Oct. 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 7, 2005
Colonel May 2, 2013
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2020
(Current as of October 2020)