Col. Brant A. Putnam is the Commander of the 162nd Wing with operations at Morris Air National Guard Base, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, and Libby Army Airfield, Arizona. He is responsible for more than 1,800 members of the Air National Guard’s largest F-16 and remote piloted aircraft wing. The wing maintains more than 75 F-16 Fighting Falcons to train U.S. and partner nation F-16 pilots and provide 24/7 immediate response operations in support of the North American Aerospace Defense Command. In addition, the wing executes remotely piloted MQ-9 Reaper missions providing persistent attack capabilities in support of combat operations worldwide. The 162nd Wing also provides support to the Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve Test Center missions.
Col. Putnam began his military career in 1990 when he enlisted at the 162nd Fighter Wing. Shortly thereafter, he attended Officer Training School at McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base and Undergraduate Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Following F-16C training at Luke Air Force Base Arizona, he was assigned to the New York Air National Guard in Syracuse, N.Y., where he deployed in support of Operation Northern Watch and served as chief scheduler and assistant weapons officer. He returned to the 162nd Fighter Wing in October 1996. Col. Putnam is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flight hours in numerous blocks of the F-16 to include blocks 15, 25, 32, 42, and 52.
1992 Bachelor of Arts, History, Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, N.J.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Ala.
2007 Air Command & Staff Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Arts, Organizational Leadership, Marshall University, Huntington, W.Va.
1. April 1993–May 1994, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. May 1994–July 1994, Student, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. September 1994–April 1995, F-16C Qualification Training, 62nd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1995–October 1996, F-16C Pilot, 138th Fighter Squadron, Hancock Field, N.Y.
5. November 1996–March 1999, Instructor Pilot/Chief of Scheduling, 152nd Fighter Squadron, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
6. March 1999–January 2006, Instructor Pilot/Drill-Status Guardsman, 152nd Fighter Squadron, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
7. January 2006–July 2011, Assistant Director of Operations, 152nd Fighter Squadron, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
8. July 2011–March 2012, Commander, Operation Snowbird, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
9. March 2012–February 2014, Operations Officer, 195th Fighter Squadron, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
10. February 2014–July 2017, Commander, 152nd Fighter Squadron, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
11. July 2017–May 2020, Deputy Commander, 162nd Operations Group, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
12. June 2020–May 2022, Commander, 162nd Operations Group, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
13. May 2022–September 2023, Vice Commander, 162nd Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
14. September 2023–Present, commander, 162nd Wing, Morris ANGB, Ariz.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flying Hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-16 A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Award
Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon with service star
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with four hourglass devices
Air Force Training Ribbon
1991 162nd Fighter Wing Outstanding Airman of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 1, 1993
First Lieutenant Sept. 14, 1995
Captain Oct. 7, 1997
Major Oct. 31, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 31, 2009
Colonel June 18, 2020
(Current as of September 2023)