News Search


Military OneSource offers spouse education benefits

  • Published
  • By Military OneSource
The Department of Defense is expanding the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts -- MyCAA -- for military spouses of active duty and activated Guard and Reserve servicemembers worldwide beginning in mid May 2009. 

MyCAA is currently completing an extensive testing period with the help of volunteer spouses, schools and other payees. In mid May, MyCAA will officially open its doors for eligible military spouses worldwide to receive up to $6,000 of financial assistance to help pay for licenses, certifications and education in high growth, high demand portable career fields. 

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Details
MyCAA provides up to $6,000 of financial assistance for eligible spouses directly to participating schools or other programs. If they are already listed in the MyCAA system, a spouse and his/her school or other program are ready to proceed with their request for financial assistance. If not, the military spouse needs to click "Can't Find School" on the MyCAA website to request that his/her school or other program be added. MyCAA financial assistance will pay for expenses such as post-secondary education and training, tuition, licensing, and credentialing fees. It does not pay for computers, school application fees, graduation fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation, medical services or testing fees. 

Who can help spouses develop a MyCAA Career Plan and explain how MyCAA financial assistance will be provided? 

- Check back to regularly to find out the exact MyCAA launch date. 

- In the meantime, keep exploring your Portable Career options and working on your Career Plan with your school or other program counselor. 

- Once MyCAA is launched, call a Military OneSource Career/Education Consultant (1-800-342-9647) for an appointment. The MOS Consultant can answer questions you might have and provide assistance as you explore career fields of interest, job markets and salary ranges, choose a relevant course of study from a recognized school or program, learn more about the licensing and certifications necessary to meet your Career Goal, and complete your Career Plan. 

- MOS Consultants can also explain how financial assistance is paid directly by MyCAA to your school or other program. They can also help you find additional sources of financial assistance if necessary.

Email us if you have specific questions or need assistance prior to the MyCAA launch in mid May 09. 

- For website technical assistance, send an email to

- For questions about which schools and other payees are participating in MyCAA, go to the MyCAA website, and click on "School Search." You can search by school name or State or scroll through the school which are listed alphabetically. If the school is not listed, once you create an account and log-in, you can submit a request for DoD approval by clicking the "Can't Find School" link at the bottom of the pop-up window. 

-  For school and other payee officials who have questions about DoD's direct invoice and payment processes, send an email to: